[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
kreatious.net • View topic - What does this mean!? (im such a noob)

What does this mean!? (im such a noob)

Anything that doesn't relate to Kreatious goes here

What does this mean!? (im such a noob)

by sschoedel » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:46 pm

These are the specs on the laptop I just got, but I have no idea what this means! I know someone will understand c: (sorry for being such a noob XD)

Dell XPS 14z X14z-3846SLV Notebook PC - Intel Core i5-2450M 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR3, 750GB HDD, DVDRW, 14" Display, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
And this graphic driver thing-amajig: NVIDIA GeForce GT 520M with 1GB VRAM
I can have signature?
sschoedel

Re: What does this mean!? (im such a noob)

by zuko135 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:33 am

ImageImage
zuko135
Resident

by Nezark123 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:27 pm

Image ImageImage
Nezark123

by kieranchocian » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:46 pm

Dell XPS 14z X14z-3846SLV Notebook PC - Laptop name.

Intel Core i5-2450M 2.5GHz- Processor is running at a frequency of 2.5GHz. This isn't bad, but a lot of people have processors that run at 3+GHz.

8GB DDR3- 8GB of RAM (Not entirely sure exactly what makes DDR3 different, but it's a different type of RAM). Computers cannot read directly from the secondary memory (Hard drive) so it has to be read from the RAM. More RAM = More calculations can be done at a time. 8GB is good; you shouldn't need any more for the time being.

750GB HDD- This is fairly obvious; you have 750GB of storage.

DVDRW- Some sort of dvd tray. The RW means re-writable, so it might be able to burn disks (don't quote me).

14" Display- Screen size

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit- Operating system

NVIDIA GeForce GT 520M with 1GB VRAM - I have no idea when it comes to graphics cards.

Overall: seems like a good machine, especially for a laptop. :)
kieranchocian
Veteran

by sschoedel » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:29 pm

Thanks guys. I knew what some of the stuff was, like the screen length, name, storage, and system. But some of the things listed there are way too far over my head..
I can have signature?
sschoedel

by tempestfeir » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:27 am

A Clarification on the DVD-RW part, What that means is you have some sort of manufacturers default low cost DVD Player that can Write to Writable DVD's & to Re-Writable DVD's (these are two seperate types of DVD) to further complicate matters, a DVD-RW Drive is assumed to be able to handle CD's of R and RW types as well. What is not clarified, is that is your disc drive a DVD/CD + Writer, or a DVD/CD - Writer, Or Both (again 2 further variations on DVD writing besides R & RW) I'd assume since there is no clarifcation it can do both. What does this mean? You definitely cannot play a Blu-Ray ;) but you can play almost any form of Mini-CD/DVD to Full Size CD/DVD. Double check what is Written on the drive door. (Image Below)

For those who ask, Lightscribe is another special dvd that allows you to lazer burn a CD image onto the top of the Disc if you have a lightscribe dvd writer....(Example Below)
tempestfeir
Resident

by tempestfeir » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:30 am

"And this graphic driver thing-amajig: NVIDIA GeForce GT 520M with 1GB VRAM"
Good News, you have a Nvidia card, (I prefer those)

It's a Geforce GT 520m, which means it's about 2 years old I think, and the M stands for Mobile, it's the laptop version of the graphics card, compared to those big beasts you see inside our desktop comps. It is not the best of the best cards, but it is a good card none-the-less. Also it has 1GB of DEDICATED as in this ram is a part of the card itself, before it starts trying to use your 8gb of DDR3 System Ram

as for this Dell XPS 14z X14z-3846SLV

Company: Dell
Laptop Design Model: XPS
Further Design customization: 14z (14-stands for 14inch display, see there are also XPS 16s) (z is probably refering to Ultra, because there were XPS14's in the past. (Companies will have a brand name for a line, and when changes come out every year so they can maintain selling the unit at a premium cost, they change a letter or number on the end.(Think DIfference between a Macbook 13, Macbook 16, and a Macbook pro 14, and Macbook pro 18<-using semi fictional numbers to prove a point)
Some sort of internal product code, and reference to silver probably (your case colour): X14z3846SLV

That sir is all you need to know.
Also congrats, you got about a 1-1.5k machine there. Do Not Lose It
tempestfeir
Resident

Return to Off-Topic